I’ve had many requests for more posts about ways to make money online (you can find my previous posts here and here). The holidays are upon us, and we’re all looking for ways to make some extra cash. I’ve found a lot of ways to earn some money and make the holiday gift burden lighter, even for those who don’t have a blog. One of my all-time favorite methods is Swagbucks.
What is Swagbucks?
Swagbucks is the method of online earning that I have been using the longest. The premise is simple; you complete different actions to earn “bucks” that can then be redeemed in the Swag Store for gift cards and prizes. Those actions can be searching the web, taking surveys, watching videos from advertisers, and purchasing items and offers through the Swagbucks site.
The main way that I earn Swagbucks is by searching, although I’ve also done surveys, which are time consuming but have a high value. I also really like the Shop and Earn program. You shop major retailers (think Target, JC Penney, and Walmart) online through links from the Swagbucks homepage. You can earn a certain amount of Swagbucks for every dollar you spend. Sometimes it’s just one Swagbuck per dollar; sometimes it’s as many as four Swagbucks per dollar.
There are definitely things that I don’t like about Swagbucks, but I have to say that in the four or five years I’ve been using the site, it’s been a huge blessing to us. Earlier this month our vacuum cleaner broke, and having gift cards available from Swagbucks helped us save considerably on a new one (no, it’ wasn’t a Dyson). And I earned more Swagbucks because I bought our new vacuum through the Shop and Earn program. This year for Christmas, I have spent less than $10 out-of-pocket so far on the boys, thanks to Swagbucks (and Bing Rewards).
What I love about Swagbucks?
- Your earning potential per day is unlimited.
- You can earn Swagbucks in a wide variety of ways.
- You can refer friends to earn a bonus. This is a great way to increase your earning power.
- It’s easy! You can do as little or as much as you want with it.
- The Swagbucks team works hard to make the whole process fun, with lots of ways to earn extra bucks.
- If gift cards aren’t your thing, you can cash in your bucks for Paypal cash!
What do I not love about Swagbucks?
- The search engine is not great.
- Some of the opportunities to earn bucks can have a bit of a spammy feel to them (but I am glad you can pick and choose when opportunities to take).
- There are limits to how many rewards you can claim in a month.
- You need to devote at least a little time to Swagbucks daily to really make it worth your while. I personally don’t mind this fact, but those who don’t want to devote the time won’t see the benefits.
Overall, do I recommend Swagbucks to those looking to make a little extra money online? Absolutely. I’ve stuck with it for years now, and there’s a good reason why – it works. I recommend at least trying it out; it doesn’t cost you anything, and you may actually earn something.
Anyone who signs up under my affiliate link by December 21st, 2013 and earns 1500 Swagbucks by January 1st, 2014 will earn a bonus 500 Swagbucks. That’s a $5 Amazon or Target gift card!